I don’t know about you but on cold days I love warm soup! This recipe for cabbage soup is soooo good! This is my favorite soup. We add pimento cheese to this and it tastes even better.I hope you like it! We have made it in the crock pot before and it works wonderfully.
- 1 med. head cabbage, sliced thin.
- 1 large can or bottle V-8 vegetable juice 46-48 oz.
- 1 c. tomato ketchup
- 2 cans red kidney beans, drained
- 1 1/2 tsp. Thyme
- 2 tsp. each of the following: basil, salt, and pepper
- 2 lbs. hamburger
- 2-3 med. onions, chopped
- 2 cans chicken broth
For pimento cheese
- 4 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 c. shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 3 T. sugar
- dash of garlic, onion salt, and red pepper
- 1 large red pepper roasted and diced
- Mayonnaise to make creamy
- In a large stock pot, brown meat,add onions and cook until onions are soft. Drain well.
- Add 2 cans chicken stock. Add remaining ingredients.
- Stir and cover pot.
- Simmer 2 hours longer, until cabbage is tender.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Add pimento cheese to soup stir until melted.
- Serve and Enjoy!
This soup freezes really well.(if you have leftovers:)
photo from self.com